Tells around Al Hasakeh
This tell has been the focus of British
researchers since Mallowan started the excavations in 1937 (Max
Mallowan was, the famous mystery writer Agatha Christie's, husband).
Although it was stopped from 1939 to 1976, it has now been
continuous since that time and a lot has been discovered about the
Early and Middle Bronze Age periods. This site is older than Mari
and some of it dates back to the 4th Millennium BC.
Some of the major discoveries up till now
are that of the Akkadian fortress, the Eye Temple, and the Mitannian
The Akkadian fortress was the residence of
the Akkadian ruler Naram Sin in the 24th century BC. It was rebuilt
by the third Ur dynasty in the 22nd century BC but was abandoned
The Eye Temple is one of the best features
of this excavation site. It dates back to 3200 BC and was named so
in reference to the big number of flat idols with an enlarged
representation of an eye.
Also uncovered by the British is the
Mitannian palace, which dates back to the 16th and 15th centuries
Tell Khallaf is an artificial mound located near the village of Ras
Al Ain. This Tell was first found by Baron Max Von Oppenheim a
Prussian engineer. He was surveying the area to build the Berlin
Baghdad rail track in 1899. He came back to excavate in the region
from 1911 to 1913. Many of the vestiges he found were taken back to
Berlin to be put in a museum bearing its name, the Tell Khallaf
This site goes back to Neolithic periods in
the 4th millennium BC, but was abandoned for a 3 millenniums. In the
1st millennium BC, this was the site of Guzana a city mentioned in
Assyrian archives. Guzana was the capital of one of the Aramean
Most of the artifacts found here have been
taken away and the large black volcanic lions that are at the
entrance to the Aleppo Museum, is a replica of the entrance to this
This hill is currently under exploration and not much is known of it
except that it is the ancient city of Shadikani (The archaeologist
Smith was able to decipher the cuneiform inscriptions found there).
A large Assyrian palace has been found here.