The Syria of today offers tourists as much a cultural experience as a sightseeing one, where ancient history provides a fascinating backdrop to everyday life on the streets                          



Basic services

The Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) Call Centre

You can get general information about immigration and citizenship by calling the CIC Call Centre. Recorded information is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, in English or French. If you have access to the Internet, you can also view the CIC Web site ( for recent announcements, publications, and application kits and guides. (See the section on "Using computers" for further information on Internet web sites.)

The CIC Call Centre can provide:

  • general information about immigration and citizenship programs and services;

  • general information about your application;

  • application and information kits;

  • help with fee calculations.

Remember: If you have an immigration client identification (ID) number, you will need it to obtain information about your application.

Here's how it works:

  1. A recorded message will tell you to press 1 or 2 to select English or French.

  2. The recorded message will list a "menu" from which to choose the information you need. Press the star [*] key to repeat the message.

  3. Press 9 to return to the main menu and make your choice.

  4. During normal business hours (Monday to Friday 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. local time) across Canada, you can press 0 to speak directly to a program assistant. If all the assistants are busy, stay on the line until one becomes free.

How to contact the Call Centre:

If you are in the local calling area of:

Montreal, call:


Toronto, call:


Vancouver, call:


If you are anywhere else in Canada, call toll-free: 1-888-242-2100. If you wish to use the Internet, the address is

Remember: One of the most frequent reasons for calling the Call Centre is to obtain application kits for Citizenship and Immigration services. These include sponsorship or citizenship applications. Simply follow the recorded instructions.

Immigrant-serving organizations

Canada has hundreds of organizations which help newcomers settle into life in Canada. Many of them represent a number of different multicultural agencies and associations, so they can help you in several ways. They may provide language training, or help you find housing, or look for a job. They may also provide support for women, children, and families who are dealing with domestic violence. Some of these organizations can provide these services in your first language, which may be helpful in the first few months. The addresses and telephone numbers of many of these organizations are listed in the pamphlet Finding Help in Your Community, found in the back pocket of this brochure.

Settlement services

Federal basic settlement services are provided by school boards, community colleges and immigrant-serving organizations to newcomers throughout Canada, except in Quebec, Manitoba and British Columbia. These provinces make their own arrangements for the provision of settlement services.

Host Program

The Host program is a federal government program, designed to:

  • Match you with a friend familiar with Canadian ways

  • Help you overcome the stress of moving to a new country

  • Help you learn about available services and how to use them,

  • Help you practice English or French,

  • Help you develop contacts in your employment field,

  • And help you participate in community activities.

In return, the host volunteer will have you as a new friend, learn about your culture and strengthen community life.

ISAP (Immigrant Settlement and Adaptation Program)

ISAP is a federal government program, designed to:

  • Help you with immediate needs

  • Refer you to economic, social, health, cultural, educational and recreational facilities

  • Provide you with information and orientation on banking, shopping, managing a household and so on;

  • Provide you with interpretation or translation services when necessary;

  • Provide you with short-term counselling

  • And provide you with employment-related services

LINC (Language Instruction for Newcomers)

LINC is a federal government program for adults that is designed to:

  • Assess your level of English or French through the LINC Assessment Centers

  • Refer you to an appropriate LINC Provider through the Assessment Centers

  • Provide you, through School boards, Colleges and Community Organizations, with full-time, part-time, evening, weekend and other classes based on your needs.

  • Provide you with transportation and child minding when necessary;

Government services

The main telephone numbers for federal, provincial, and municipal or regional government departments are listed in the blue pages of your local telephone book. Some are listed by department, or by service. Frequently called numbers are often listed at the beginning of each section, including a central information number.

If you need help to find a federal government program or service, call Information on the Government of Canada at 1-800-622-6232 or if you wish to use the Internet, the address is:

 Web site designed and maintained by Yaser Kherdaji
Toronto - Canada
Copyright 2003 -
سوريا يا حبيبتي - سوريا اليوم
تصميم و إشراف ياسر خرده جي 
تورونتو - كندا
المقالات و الآراء و محتويات الصفحات المنشورة في موقعنا لا تعبر بالضرورة عن عن رأي الموقع و انما تعبر عن رأي كتابها